Admitting you have a problem is the first step....

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Austin Powers from dialupC181.mpls.uswest.net on April 06, 2001 at 03:00:45:

In Reply to: My review of Austin's Expedition and PB hat posted by schwammy on April 05, 2001 at 17:29:04:

You've now made your first Indy-gear purchase. And if you're anything like the rest of us it'll be far from your last. I got a feeling you'll be explaining a LOT of purchases to the Mrs. in the coming months, as this hobby has an addiction level similar to that of what the kids call "Krank".

I appreciate your kind words and comments. It was really fun talkin' "shop", as the IndyScholars call it, with a fellow fan in person. It's weird because posting on here you don't always associate screen names with real people. It's comforting to know that I'm not the only fan out there, which seemed the case prior to the internet.

I've heard others mention how cool it would be to put together an informal "Indy Convention", and I gotta admit, it would be kinda slick to see everyone else's gear and hear their stories and suggestions face-to-face. But then again judging from my history on this forum I'd probably end up at the business end of everyone's David Morgans.

But yeah, I'm glad I could help you in your jacket quest and I hope you enjoy your Aldens for years and years, which according to long-time owners will definitely happen. Who was it, I think Dr. Brody who said he's had his Aldens for 11 years. He's had to replace the soles a few times but the shoe part is still goin' strong, which sounds pretty damn impressive. My Reebok's fell apart on the walk from the Foot Locker to my car. But seriously, folks, this IS one hell of an expensive hobby.

Austin Powers

P.S. I feel that the Expedition jacket is really the way to go. Granted, I haven't seen an "updated" Wested in person, but for some reason the Expedition does, like we both mentioned, capture "the look" pretty errily. Now your only problem is deciding on leather. Like I said, my FS lamb seems just as strong as my Wested lamb, which has held up through a lot of abuse. But you may want to look into having FS send you a large sample of their goatskins. I guess the leather decision really depends on whether you want your jacket to be "indestructible" and look great or if you want it to be "drape-tastic" and look great as well. Also I've heard goatskins are warmer, so that might also play a role. I've worn my Wested lamb pretty much straight through 2 Upper-Midwest winters and nearly all the way through the summer. Those cool summer nights are always great to use as an excuse to bust out the ol' Indy jacket. Oh, about the color of the hat, I think the hazy crappy day may have altered it's color a bit. I'll have to see what the sumbitch looks like in sunshine. But in that light that hat's colors sure were funky. Like you said, the felt was greenish and the ribbon had a very definite purple hue to it. I looked like Huggy Bear out there pimpin' da hoes. Man....this is one big-ass P.S.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]