Re: Peters Bros Hats

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Indy French from syr-24-169-84-215.twcny.rr.com on April 06, 2001 at 18:25:29:

In Reply to: Peters Bros Hats posted by falconau on April 06, 2001 at 18:08:41:

Hey falconau,

I had the same questions about my PB. From what I understand, Harrison Ford was 6' with a 7 1/4 hat size. Apparently, any size above 7 1/2" requires the alteration of the normal stats you listed for the Raiders hat. I am almost 6'3 and I wear a 7 1/2. Patterson at Indy Gear told me that I should do OK with the normal measurements and he was correct. Below 7 1/4 I have no idea if alteration is necessary.

I orderd a PB with the exact specs (2 3/4 front, 2 5/8 sides) and let me tell you, the brim size is perfect. Keep in mind that I wanted Joe Peters to recreate the look of the hat from the Cairo streets scene and the brim "seems" the widest in these sequences. He is really a master hatter and pulled it off with flying colors. Also, if you plan to wear your hat a lot, it will eventually shrink and weather which will do two things, one make it look more like Raiders, and two, subtlely change the brim and crown dimensions. A brand new hat is never (in my experience) representative of what it will look like for the rest of its lifespan. So be careful of these things when considering measurements. You don't want to get a hat that looks exactly right for the first month only to have it weather down and become inaccurate later. (This happened to me very badly with a Stetson Indy I purchased as a TOD-like hat. The brim and crown shrunk up to nothing in less than a year even when I was using a hat jack and being very careful to take care of it.)

Joe Jr., who makes the hats, is the best at determining these things and you should inquire with him as to what he thinks would be the best route to go as far as crown measurements and brim stats go in relation to your height and head size. He's the master so he could give you better advice than anyone I think.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]