The frustrations of prop collecting

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Indy French from syr-24-169-84-215.twcny.rr.com on April 07, 2001 at 23:05:43:

Hey everyone.

I was just thinking (which is sometimes hard for me so let's all cherish the moment) and I have come to the conclusion that Hollywood manages to find and use the most elusive items to construct their props. Ever noticed how almost every prop made from "found objects" in film is impossible to replicate because those "found objects" really aren't that easy to find!

I have plenty of examples! Here are a few of the more notable ones.

1. Raiders S&W Hand Ejector (The one with the RARE slim rubber grips!)
2. Han Solo's blaster from The Empire Strikes Back (Uses a RARE Azimuth scope to complete the prop.)
3. Doc Brown's Mr. Fusion from Back to the Future (A RARE Krupps Coffee Grinder from Germany. You'd of thought that a coffee grinder would have been mass produced, but apparently not this one!)
4. Luke Skywalker's lightsaber (The infamously RARE Graflex flashgun was used to make this little gem possible!)
5. Indy's shoulder bag (The RARER Mark VII bag! Not the Mark VI which is everywhere by comparison!)
6 and Final. Doc Brown's video camera from Back to the Future is the RARE (there's that word again!) JVC GR-C1U VHS-C Camcorder. (Try finding one of these on eBay. I dare you!)

I tell you, it takes a certain amount of patience and ingenuity to be a prop collector b/c Hollywood never makes it easy... Well, OK, if you really want a Jedi communicator, those are easy to find, just go by a Gilette Sensor for women, but who really wants one of those?!

OK, I'm done ranting.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]