Re: Who was Forrestal? Let's probe further....

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Michaelson from em12-686.utsi.edu on October 08, 1998 at 09:31:30:

In Reply to: Re: Who was Forrestal? posted by Major Paul on October 08, 1998 at 04:11:17:

: : Hello fellow Indy fans:
: : I have a question that has been eating at my mind since 1981.
: : Who was Forrestal? Indy mentions him at the beginning of Raiders
: : as being very good competitor. Why doesn't he show up in any of
: : the novels? How good was he? He couldn't have been too good
: : if he "cashed in" at the Golden Idol temple. (Indy made that journey
: : through the temple look like a cake-walk). Any ideas on this guy
: : Forrestal? Thanks for your time.
: : -graml

: : You know, you've raised a good question. I am somewhat amazed that there has been very little attention paid to this character when you consider the level of detail that is scrutinized on this forum. Forrestal was probably someone very much like Indy and Belloq. That the three of them were all seeking the Hovitos idol probably indicates the level of competition among the three. While it is true that Forrestal "cashed in his chips" for a free wooden spike acupuncture treatment through the head, we should also consider two factors about this man's abilities. One, he beat both Indy and Belloq to the cave. Had he not been impaled, he probably would have been laughing all the way to the bank. Two, Indy seems to regard him as a formidable adversary. Indy's comment that, "he was good...very good", lends credence to this theory. Beyond that, however, Forrestal is relegated to the bone heap of minor characters. -MP

Tack onto that Sepatio's statement "No one's come out of there alive!". As was pointed out before on this forum, how would he know? If you have read the original treatment, the three individuals each had a part of the map. We see Indy get handed their two parts, which he holds together with his part to get the bearings to the cave entrance. Was Sepatio stating legend? Had he been with Forrestal on his trip, and if so, why would he need the map? And if he couldn't remember details and did need the map, how could he do it if the map was in the hands of three different people? That set of details always intreged me too. Regards. Michaelson

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]