Re: Akubra Federation vs Peters Bros.

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Patterson from spider-wm052.proxy.aol.com on April 08, 2001 at 03:14:43:

In Reply to: Re: Akubra Federation vs Peters Bros. posted by Indy French on April 08, 2001 at 01:51:53:

: Well, even though I am only a PB owner right now, I can say this much from observations of the Federation.

: Without regard to price, the pros of the Fed are a wider brim and unbashed crown to work with in case you are the type that likes to cut and style your own Indy lid. The extra brim width might also help people who suffer from what Patterson dubbed "large skull syndrome" find the proper look in a fedora. Also, I hear that the Fed has much softer felt which may be more accurate to the Raiders hat especially.

: The pros of the PB are plainly obvious. You've got the master hat maker Joe Peters Jr. on the job bashing hats to not just resemble the film in general, but specific scenes and possibly even specific shots! And while the PB has a stiffer felt to it, you cannot deny when you open the box that the hat you receive looks even better than you could have imagined and is accurate almost down to the degree as far as the crown and brim are concerned.

: Both of these hats are excellent, and while I am only a PB owner, I have heard the Fed's praises sung by many knowledgable Indy enthusiasts. I have no doubt that the Fed is the ultimate budget Indy hat. In fact, I hear it may me more than a budget hat as it's quality has been compared in some past posts to the Herbert Johnson of all hats! The low price may be a glorious miracle!

: Is one better than the other? I don't know to be honest, but I am certain that both are worth the money invested.

:

On the PB - Joe can go with about any brim width I've heard used for our favorite fedora. I've discussed scenarios over 3 inches. On the stiffness - it does die down, and you can have him lighten up on it as well. MK's is a good example. Honestly, I've worked with the Campdraft, and while it is a fine Akubra, I have really been spoiled by Joe Peters hats. For the price, I think it is more applicable to compare the Federation to the Miller hat. Thoughts?

Regards,

Patterson

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: