Re: question on horsehide jackets

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Zippy from 165.227.138.107 on April 08, 2001 at 12:57:46:

In Reply to: question on horsehide jackets -- a little off topic posted by Bennett on April 08, 2001 at 09:43:20:

From previous research, it seems that 3 oz. horsehide was USAAF Spec. for the original A-2s (though I'm not an authority on A-2s). However, I don't know how this translates to thickness.

I have a Cooper horsehide A-2, and the leather seems pretty thick... though the jacket itself really isn't that heavy (it's lighter in overall weight compared to my cowhide VIP Indy jacket). It has a smooth (almost grainless) finish, and it is fairly stiff... after nearly three years, it's still very noisy, too. Perhaps these are just characteristics of horsehide. Is your jacket noisy as well?

Regards,
Zippy

: I recently received a US Authentic A-1 horsehide jacket that I use to work in (I am tired of buying new $70 dollar Carhart jackets every other year, so opted for something that might last a bit longer, not to mention have a little character -- imagine if everyone worked in leather jackets -- there would be some really cool jackets on the market, as there were in the 1930s)

: My question is about the thickness of horsehide in the original flight jackets -- the leather of my jacket is incredibly thick -- not just stiff-- thicker even that a thick goatskin jacket, maybe 1.5 times as thick as a heavy cowhide jacket --

: I like the leather -- very grainy (it's just starting to come out), lots of character, etc, but it's very heavy and I was wondering if this is typical of horsehide --

: Does anyone know how thick the leather was on original WWII A-2s for instance?

: Not quite an Indy related question, but maybe close enough --

: Thanks,
: Bennett

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: