The Weak Lambskin Myth

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Austin Powers from 216.160.13.252 on April 09, 2001 at 14:23:59:

In Reply to: Lambskin posted by Rundquist on April 09, 2001 at 13:46:34:

Personally, I don't really buy into the belief that some people have regarding the "weakness" of lambskin. Granted, lambskin might SEEM weaker than say goatskin or cowhide, but I think thickness has a lot to do with it. People feel that other leathers are physically thicker than lambskin so they assume it must in turn be stronger as well.

Well I've had my lambskin Wested for 2 years, and I've worn it almost nonstop until a few weeks ago when I upgraded to an Expedition. During the 2 years I wore my Wested I put it through hell and back. I wore it on "off-trail" nature hikes and sliding down rocky slopes, it protected my back while manuvering through wire fences, and it never once tore or got snagged on anything. In fact, it was so hard to phase the coat that it still looks virtually brand-new.

My FS Expedition is also lambskin and to me feels every bit as strong as Wested's lambskin. At the same time the FS lamb has a better grain and color, and lacks that annoying "Wested Squeak" that made my Wested sound cheap.

So, if you want a coat that looks AND drapes like Ford's did in 'Raiders' then from what I hear lambskin is the best way to go. My Expedition is perfect in replicating what I MYSELF see on screen. While others may argue that goatskin is more "durable", it lacks, from what I hear, the correct drape and even has that annoying squeak. So if you're going to wear your jacket daily and on semi-Indyesque adventures I'd go with lamb. I mean you won't be able to drag it behind a truck, but I doubt you could even do that with goat.

Austin Powers

P.S. One more lambskin plus is the fact that you can wear it practically year-round. I wore my Wested in 85 degree heat and down into single digit cold. It was comfortable enough in the summer with a t-shirt on, and warm enough in the winter with a sweatshirt on. Keep in mind though that I was born and raised in the Upper Midwest, so what's comfortable for me might be bone-chillingly cold for others.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]