That's why goatskin has always been my # 1 choice...

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Fedora from 24.116.27.226 on April 09, 2001 at 15:27:50:

In Reply to: Re: Lambskin posted by Patterson on April 09, 2001 at 14:15:58:

: Lambskin is a very singular leather; it has the unique appearance of heavier leathers, achieves a drape over a period of days that may take years for other jackets to obtain, it is very easy to "predistress", and it is light enough to wear in hot conditions. It also has a very unique strength to it - it seems to be able to withstand some types of abuse very well. It does, however, not fare well under traumatic conditions, especially when anything sharp is involved. I've not tested a jacket this way, but have subjected large samples to the test. Running the end of a paperclip across leathers with moderate pressure resulted in the following:

: -Goatskin: Absolutely no effect
: -Horsehide: Barely visible line that faded when the leather was worked a bit.
: -Lambskin: Ripped through the surface, with some sections going all the way through the leather.
: Deerskin: A few blemishes, some of which did not fade even after working the leather a bit.

: With what I'd call more forceful pressure:

: -Goatskin: No effect (wow)
: -Horsehide: Same as above, but most lines did not fade. Appears to really only have broken through the pigmentation and maybe barely into leathers upper surface. All in all, the leather did well.
: -Lambskin: Ripped completely in half.
: -Deerskin: Ripped through the surface, but did not penetrate through anywhere.

: Most jacket manufacturers that supply the military will steer you away from lamb. No military jackets specify lambskin construction, and it's not a question of price; lambskin is considered fashion garment leather and will fail under conditions that other leathers will show no effect from.

: I love the feel of a lambskin jacket. They are light. It feels more like you're wearing a second shirt, and sometimes you completely forget you have the thing on! I guess that would be a good reason to make a movie jacket from lamb - especially when it's going to be worn in Tunisia and Hawaii! Lambskin also makes a wonderful canvas for the likes of MK and Noel Howard. A little movie magic with the help of acetone and some handy brick walls, and you have a beautiful jacket that looks like you just rolled out of the Well of Souls! That brick wall may destroy a few jackets in the process, though. If you get a lambskin, just be careful with it. Buy a second in cowhide or goat to wear when you plan to live the legend - know what I mean?

: I guess what I'm trying to say is it really is apples and oranges...

: Hope this helps - regards,

: -Patterson

I guess the lamb is more authnic, and I own one, but after recieving the cowhide Wested, I really like it more than the lamb. But I also have an A-2 made of goatskin, and it is quite a few years old, and is still intact from punctures and tears. I knew it was tough, and so thats why my next Indy jacket will be the goatskin. If he had been a real I figure he would be wearing an American fedora,(PB) and his jacket would be goatskin. Regards, Fedora

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]