More observations on the Akubra Federation

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Fedora from ppp-67.col.cableone.net on April 10, 2001 at 01:01:13:

I finally got some time to really check out theis new Federation, and my first impressions still apply. This has got to be the mother of all bargains for us Indy fans. Don't get me wrong, nothing so far can replace the PB, but this is an outstanding alternitive for those who don't want to invest in the price of a PB. I still haven't decided on which style to go for, but surprisingly enough I am pondering replicating Fedora's hat. The Federation has a beautifully shaped crown, in the open crown state. So much so, that I hate to even bash it. My brim measures 2 7/8 all the way around, and will have to submit itself to my dimensional cut. Just too much hat on the sides for my taste. But there is something that I have noticed that will help the fans who want the Raiders look. If you snap the brim down all the way around ( it's a true snap brim), the brim drops away from the body in a downward slant. Now, leaving the brim in this state, and curling up the sides, you have a heck of a streets of Cairo look. From playing around with the hat, I feel that with some steam, and a little stiffener, and patience, this may be one of the few hats that lends itself to replicating the Raiders fedora. But, the ribbon needs to be narrower, period. It would change the whole look of the crown height, as this hat is tall enough for the Raiders look, at least in my size. I think that Ron said the crown went upward to 6 inches on the larger sizes. On my head size, I have always felt that the 2 3/4 x 2 5/8 brim looks to be the right proportion, but I may try this one at 2 7/8 x 2 3/4, just ot see what it looks like. I got a feeling I will be paring it down to my favorite size before its over. When all is said, this is one beautiful hat, and the pics I have seen so far doesn't do it justice. Regards, Fedora

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]