Re: Low jacket straps got you down?

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Patterson from spider-te041.proxy.aol.com on April 10, 2001 at 01:31:22:

In Reply to: Low jacket straps got you down? posted by Indy French on April 10, 2001 at 01:21:11:

: Hey everyone,

: I know that there are probably many Wested owners out there like me who bought a Wested before the string of modifications that were applied to it a few months ago. If this is the case, then your Westeds probably suffer from the same symptoms mine has: Low straps, shallow action pleat, and no leather facings.

: Well, probably the only option to cure all of these ills is to invest in a new Wested or FS depending on your tastes. However, even if you are like me and have grown to love your Wested despite its flaws, the low straps thing is probably the biggest aesthetic issue and one that just needs correcting. Personally, I cannot stand the straps cinching at my rear rather than my waist, but I have found a solution that many may not have considered.

: I know that there are many places that tailor garments, but the best places I have found have always been shops that specialize in automotive re-upholstering. If you find the right place, they may do furniture and garments too like the one I found in Atlanta. These guys have all the tools to fix and mend leather. While I have not been able to have my Wested altered yet, my aunt had a jacket repaired at the place and they were able to fill punctures in the leather and then MATCH the grain of the hide with a special gizmo! You could not tell the leather had ever been torn!

: Most of you are probably responding right now with a "Duh!" look at me, but this was all new info for me and I was so excited to hear that they could alter the straps on my jacket I just wanted to post it. I mean, when there's a Ferarri parked out in front of the same store you're getting your Wested fixed at, it feels like a real discovery.

: Anyway, that's all.

This does work well, as long as they also reinforce the back of the leather where they apply this "filler". Also, it works better with cowhide than withe lambskin - the cowhide seems to provide a better surface to bind with. One thing to keep in mind - the strap are ok for the Last Crusade - IMHO.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]