Re: What is it with the alias?

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mithrandir from ppp-207-193-28-139.snantx.swbell.net on October 08, 1998 at 22:09:09:

In Reply to: Re: What is it with the alias? posted by ~The Raider~ on October 08, 1998 at 21:28:44:

:
: : Howdy all,

: : I was just wondering - am I the only one who posts his REAL name in this forum? Why do all you guys use an alias?

: : Rob (Aust.)
: : ---

: I don't know about anyone else, but I use it as a security measure.
: So I'm a little paranoid, but I feel insecure about revealing my name. If the wrong person gets a hold of it, I could be one in a few billion targeted by crackers.
: That last line was sarcastic, but I do feel insecure about it.

: ~The Raider

10-4, Raider. My first forum name was almost my full name, and my last name is very unique (Slavic) so I'd be pretty easily traced, but then I got wise to the fact that there are crackers, to use your word, out there. So I decided to pick another name. I love the Lord of the Rings, Aragorn and Elendil were already taken (where are they?), I wanted someone important but not obvious, so I chose one of Gandalf's nicknames, Mithrandir. Couple o' guys out there have Gandalf nicknames, too. Guess I started a trend or something :-). So that's where my forum name came from. Plus being known as someone/thing else is cool; you adopt it for your own nickname.

-Mithrandir-

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]