Damm Yankee Ship!!! THE SOUTH SHALL RIDE AGAIN!!!(NM)

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Briede from host-216-79-213-132.sld.bellsouth.net on April 11, 2001 at 17:46:01:

In Reply to: What? A serious archaeology post from graml? posted by graml on April 11, 2001 at 16:05:04:

: 'Tis true, enfants. I know a couple of you masquerade as archaeologists when you aren't dressing up as Indiana Jones, and thought you might be interested in a little bit of nautical archaeology. The Mariners' Museum is the official repository (be sure not to mis-pronounce that!) of all USS Monitor relics. Our biggest coup so far (let me know if I'm crowing too loud here...) is the Monitor's propeller, which is currently in the preservation stage, but is still being exhibited. Rumor now has it that NOAA will next be bringing up the Monitor's mighty XI Dahlgrens. Imagine a smooth-bore naval piece with an eleven inch bore and an overall length of 13 feet. These things were monsters! The local shipyard has been contracted to construct the special preservation tanks for them. Any other Civil War buffs out there?
: Peace out!
: -graml
: PS I now know far more than I'll ever need to about mid-nineteenth century naval ordnance...And it's pushing out all the useful stuff I've learned over the years!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]