Satin vs cotton, lamb vs goat etc

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Bennett from spider-wm041.proxy.aol.com on April 13, 2001 at 20:26:07:

In Reply to: Jackets - HELP posted by Indy Matt on April 13, 2001 at 15:33:42:

Here are my thoughts --

Satin vs cotton -- I have several leather jackets of various styles, and have noticed no great difference getting them on or off, or even in how hot or clammy it feels -- I think cotton feels a little better in warmer weather, but not anything too noticable --

Lambskin vs goat or other --
Goat is super tough, but lamb is too, really -- I wear my jackets to work in the woods, etc, with briars and all kinds of obstacles, and goat has held up OK, but horse and cow are better, possibly because the finish is harder or slicker and things slide off rather than snag -

With leather, you have to be patient -- what looks great immediately may not look as good a year down the road as a cowhide or horsehide jacket that was pretty stiff and awful for the first few months --

I recently ordered a Wested new finish lamb raiders jacket with satin lining -- I like the slick lining, and I work in Central America where I want a jacket to protect from rain and cool mornings but doesn't burn me up at 9am when the sun comes out.

If I were getting a jacket for use in the states (I'm in Kentucky), I would get a Wested new finish cow --

I say Wested over FS because 1)its almost half the price, 2) I like the idea of a jacket made by the guy that made them for Raiders, and 3)I don't care too much about being exactly authentic.

For what its worth,

Bennett

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: