Re: In the bag (Or, great minds think alike...)

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tim Elliott from 24.41.0.151 on April 17, 2001 at 18:14:53:

In Reply to: In the Bag posted by Indiana Banzai on April 17, 2001 at 15:12:24:

: Better question: what would Indy have in his bag today?
: - GPS unit?
: - or a Palm/Handspring Visor? with GPS capabilities?
: - Nintendo Gameboy with GPS? :p
: - or a notebook computer with wireless modem?
: - satellite phone?

Glad someone brought this up again. Here's a question I posed to the group in September 1999, then again last October. No reason not to revist it, right? Here goes:

Your mission: Indy gear for 2001!

Here's an exercise for the crowd, particularly the real
archeologists and adventurers out there. How would YOU outfit an Indy for 2001 and beyond? A leather jacket, a canvas shoulder bag and a .45 were probably good choices in the 1930s and 40s, but have they been surpassed by new materials and technology?

For the sake of discussion, let's assume:
• travel in varied climates [coldweather gear vs. jungle fever];
• weapons in checked baggage for air travel but a cavalier
attitude toward pesky local firearms ordinances; and
• a respect for traveling light.

Feel free to recommend new headgear (at your own peril!),
Gore-Tex clothing, lightweight, concealable weapons, boots and suggested shoulder bag alternatives you see fit, that sort of thing.

Would today's Indy carry a Palm Pilot instead of a lined
notebook? A GPS tracker rather than a compass? A satellite phone instead of Western Union flimsies? Would he (or she, given Lara Croft's rise to fame) still take advantage of the abundant military surplus options out there today?

Looking forward to a lively discussion.

Cheers!

Tim

[Here's one of the responses that addresses your question, too.]

Posted by DirtyFrank from 147.133.5.206 on October 16, 2000 at 00:08:26:

In Reply to: Your mission: Outfit Indy for 2001! posted by Tim Elliott on October 15, 2000 at 21:19:32:

Okay, Indy in the year 2000. It is true that in this day and age that technology is abundant, and there are lots of kewl things for him to carry. But Indy isn't that kind of guy. He wouldn't bother with anything that can be unreliable, like most technology...hell, Indy wouldn't carry anything that wouldn't survive falling off a cliff into the river.

Clothes,

Indy's clothes are all okay...hat keeps the sun out of his eyes and off of his neck...jacket protects him from the weather (snow, rain, sun)...shirt and pants are durable cotton, shoes...well maybe a pair of Doc Martins with the confortable air sole(for all that damn walking)

Gear,
1Glock 9mm...you can pour sand and water in them and they still shoot...that's reliable
2pocket torch-way better than a lighter..waterproof..and can cut thru metal
3sunglasses...preferably those bulletproof kind...raybans i think?
4 whip - the man is a master whip handler...if i were that good i'd take mine everywhere too
5 binoculars with night vision
6 bullet proof vest...people like to shoot at Indy
7 compass...reliable...better than GPS...besides, Indy always knows where he is by the natives
8 indiglo waterproof watch with hidden razor blade
9 swiss army knife...like i need to explain
10 1 condom...he usually needs one per adventure
11 thieves' tools...lock pick, glass cutter...

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]