Re: Federation questions

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Fedora from 24.116.26.221 on April 17, 2001 at 20:35:37:

In Reply to: Federation questions posted by Jonathan Jones on April 17, 2001 at 11:26:40:

: Hi,
: I understand that the Akubra Federation is the best budget Indyfan hat for the money. I have a few questions though.

: I've heard that the brim is thinner on the sides than the front. Is the difference really apparent, and should I do/have this done to mine? If so, how hard is it?

: How to you 'bash' the hat? Is this difficult? Should I use Raiders reference pics for the style and just try it? Can you change it if you mess it up?

: Lastly, is the ribbon right, or will I have to replace it, and if so, what does this entail?

: Thanks,
: Jonathan Jones

Good choice the Federation. Most folks agree that Indy's fedora had a dimensional cut, what we don't agree on is the size of the cut. Patterson posted a letter from HJ that stated that the brim was 2 7/8 x 2 3/4. I think they were referring to the Raiders fedora. Now to my eye, I would guess 2 3/4 x 2 5/8 or even 2 3/4 x 2 1/2. I cut my hat to the 2 3/4 x 2 5/8 size. And of course you have to take into account your hat size. A real big noggin would need a taller crown and a wider brim, everything else being equal. Common sense. The dimensional cut is not especially an easy thing to do, unless you have a litle artistic ability. Check out Indy Gear for the steps.
The bashing part is easy, and if you mess up, punch the crown out and do it again. I would do it without using steam or water, and then once you get the knack, apply either one, and fine tune the bashes.
The ribbon on the Federation is 1 5/8 inches, and should be 1 1/2 inches. You will need to change it to the correct size if you are trying to replicate Indy's. If you can sew, you can do it. Regards, Fedora

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]