Re: Indy Bags

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Greg from kenn009-178.cyberTours.com on October 12, 1998 at 15:20:04:

In Reply to: Re: Indy Bags posted by Gary on October 11, 1998 at 18:48:20:

: : I received a couple of what I hope are authentic MKVII gas mask bags yesterday. I expected dirt and odor. However, these smell like mildew; there are permanent rust stains on one and the other is so faded that it appears tan. I have three questions: 1. How do I know these are authentic? (both have the two water drains in bottom, and two brass snap buttons with slight rim surrounding a "squiggly" pattern on top and Patent to "Newey"? on underside. One has printed flap underside "MKVII M&Co.1941" and the other has no printing.) 2. Should/Can I remove the rust stains (and possibly fade the bag further?) 3. Do you suggest returning these bags in hope of finding others in better condition? I appreciate any suggestions. Thank you. belloq

: I have 8 bages and almost each one has a different manufactuere name in them. One of the ones I got from Semental journy's in england match your M&Co with the same snaps( the British use different snaps than you usally find in the US)my bags stunk and had stains but when you get to be almost 60 Years old some patina is expected. MIne were olive green but after hand washing a lot of color came out but not to the point of being Tan. I think you got at least one very close to to the ones used in the movies.
: Gary

Removing the rust and corrosion is no problem-however, I have since learned that using simply coarse grade steel wool is faster, easier, and better than using any kind of polish which can ruin the fabric. In addition to hand washing them in the sink, letting them "air out" outdoors will get rid of some of the musty smell. Don't worry-what you've gotten sound correct, and just they way most of mine came.

Greg

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]