Talking about blocking...

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Fedora from 24.116.27.239 on April 18, 2001 at 23:59:42:

In Reply to: Note the way the present ribbon is tacked on as you remove it... posted by Dakota Ellison on April 18, 2001 at 22:56:30:

: : I am going to pick it up right now! They also gave me some
: : complimentary black ribbon, so the next two questions are:

: : How do I fit a hat with a new ribbon, and

: : how do you dimensially cut a hat brim?

: : Anyone know?

: : cheers,

: : -IS

: The bow is separate from the rest of the ribbon. You can do your black ribbon the same way. Indy's hat has a double bow in the rear, so you just make two loops in the back of the bow and one in front.
: An alternitve to cutting the dimensional brim is to sand it. I used a tab of Scotch tape instead of marking and sanded between the tabs. My Fed was a size too large till I used Fedora's tried and true lamp fix but before I did that I thought about removing the ribbon from my PB and using it as a hat block, pulling the Fed right over it and shaping it to the PB. Seems like that would work, if you have a PB, that is. Good luck and anything we can do to help, let us know.
: Cheers,
: Dakota

I do business with a western store here and the owner used to customize cowboy hats. He has given me some great tips on hats. He told me how to make a block using an old hat. You take a hat that is bashed to your liking and cut off the brim completely. You then coat the inside of the hat with fiberglass body filler, like they use to repair cars. When this stuff sets up, you have a very rigid and hard block. You then sand down the felt somewhat, and there you have it. Take a hat like the Federation, place it over the block, and steam the tar out of it until it shrinks down to fit the block. Would someone donate a PB so we could try this out? Regards, Fedora

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]