Re: Herbert Johnson hats

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Greg from 209.222.80.86 on October 12, 1998 at 21:42:46:

In Reply to: Herbert Johnson hats posted by Shannon on October 12, 1998 at 19:19:49:

: Hi there all you Indy freaks! Just kidding I myself admire the character as well. Just a quick question I have noticed that you have been all saying that whenb you ordered your Indiana Jones hat that it is a poet with the indy specs? The reason I ask is because when I ordered mine Mr. Swales never mentioned anything about the Poet I just asked him if he originaly made the Indy fedora he said he did so I asked him to make me one. So am I to assume that he made the orignal Indy hat out of the poet model or did he just craft one that looked similar?

I believe, from my conversations with Mr. Swales, that the Poet was, and is, a stock fedora that they produce with a certain crown and top crease (front to back) and which can be ordered with any size brim from 3 inches down. This stock fedora was selected by the original movie makers (some say selected by Lucas, Spielberg and Ford themselves, some say the costumers-whichever you care to believe) as the look that they wanted the now-famous character to have, and the stock fedora trimmed and blocked the way it finally ended up. This is what I was given to understand. I don't think the "Poet" was created after the films, but was simply an anonymous hat style before one of its incarnations became famous.

Greg

: Let me know what you people think

: Thanks again

: Shannon

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL: