Re: Beaver fur?

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by West from spider-wf072.proxy.aol.com on April 20, 2001 at 04:37:28:

In Reply to: Beaver fur? posted by Emilio on April 20, 2001 at 04:14:28:

Well to try and answer what I can of your questions:
1) Beavers still do existing in abundance here in the states but in Europe they're an endangered species (didn't know there were beavers there to begin with so okay...) So beaver fur in hats generally are the real stuff.
2) The best materials I've heard, in terms of durability and quality, are beaver and rabbit fur. I've talked to several hatters and a hat any less than 5x (which is a good percent beaver) is not a good hat. The Akubra's and the HJ seem to be a good exception to this though. Pure beaver hats run up the highest price tags these days and I've also heard mink is pricey also. I'd stick with the beaver/rabbit or pure rabbit hats cause they're good felts and you need to have money to eat too, you know.
3) I once had a long chat with Joe Jr about this and a hatter here in Arizona and both of them said beaver is good because of a natural oiliness the fur possesses, making a natural water resistance, and cause it's a very tough fur. Joe himself said something about beaver being strong and sturdy while rabbit is soft.

Now this is only from what others have told me so take it as you will, but I hope this helps you and whatever choice you make in hats will make you happy.

Cheers!
West

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: