I was told...

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Patterson from spider-wo064.proxy.aol.com on April 20, 2001 at 11:52:04:

In Reply to: Sean, Idol, Richard: how long have you had you jackets? posted by Indiana Banzai` on April 19, 2001 at 14:19:39:

The shop I had the stitching redone at said I had a combination of "problems" going on. First, they said the thread used was not what they would recommend for a leather jacket - it looked to be 100% natural fiber, and that leather and leather care products could be harsh on natural fibers. They also said that - even after going to a synthetic - they would recommend going with a slightly heavier thread. They observed that the same thread was used in the lining as was used for the leather - fine for lining but not recommended for the shell. They also commented on the fairly strong odor coming off the leather, and felt that this particular leather may have been tanned using an agent that was still doing “its thing” - thus accelerating the break-down of the thread. NOW, this was a pre-distressed Wested. I have seen a recently purchased new finish cowhide Wested - thanks to Abner - and noted absolutely no odor like my pre-distressed Wested had. ALSO, I noted the thread on his appeared heavier - on the shell at least - than was used on my pre-distressed Wested. I cannot speak to whether the thread was synthetic or not - I did not want to bite into the thread to check, and I think Abner may have had a problem with it if I did?!

ANYWAY, food for thought. New and improved is great, but it really does nothing for folks who shelled out the dough and received something less. Peter can flame me for this if he wants, I really don't care...

Regards,

Patterson

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: