Re: Finding Suitable Pants

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Indiana Jas from c806767-a.plano1.tx.home.com on April 21, 2001 at 06:02:15:

In Reply to: Finding Suitable Pants posted by Austin Powers on April 21, 2001 at 02:18:40:

: Ever since I got my Aldens I've noticed something weird about pretty much every pair of khaki-type pants that I own. It seems that most of the pants have leg-widths that aren't flattering to the Alden boots.

: What I mean is, the Aldens are different than other boots, in that the heels stick out in back to form around the foot. Most boots are pretty "straight-backed" and allow pants to drape around the ankle/heel part of the boot. But with the Aldens, the added heel area makes it difficult for normal pants to drape properly. This creates a bunching, if you will, at the bottom of the pants. The "cuff" area isn't wide enough to fit around the ankle of the boot, which then makes the rest of the pants leg stop in its tracks and bunch up.

: I have found some cargo pants with nice, wide legs and these work great. But I cannot find normal khakis with legs that don't taper as they go down.

: The width that seems to work is right around 8.75" at the very bottom of the pant legs. Anything less and I get the "bunching". Has anyone else run into this problem when wearing Aldens?

: Are the Noel Howard pants "wide-legged"? And likewise, has anyone found decent-looking replica pants with wider legs? How about the LLBean pants, what are the "wool dress trousers" like?

: Austin Powers

I had the same problem with all of the khaki pants I tried before I found Noel Howard's replicas. They achieve the perfect "look"- just enough drape and break around the ankle to cover the boot adequately and yet not look like a pair of bell bottoms. I have no experience with the LL Bean trouser though. Someone who has a pair will hopefully chime in. I don't think you can go wrong with the NH pants though.

Indiana Jas
Allen, TX

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: