Re: I forgot to mention one thing...

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Indiana John from proxy.wmfg.com on October 16, 1998 at 10:23:55:

In Reply to: I forgot to mention one thing... posted by Max on October 16, 1998 at 04:09:27:

: : : : I sure would like to know more about the dog that appeared in the opening act of Last Crusade. Obviously, that was "Indiana", the dog from which Henry "Indiana" Jones, Jr. (Harrison Ford) took his nickname, as was disclosed by his Dad, Prof. Henry Jones, Sr.(Sean Connery), to Sallah (John Rys-Davies) at the end of that movie. Was the dog a Siberian Huskey? Male/Female? Who is the owner/trainer? Is the dog still alive? Where? What was the dog's real name? I saw no references to the dog in the credits at the end of the movie. What a mystery. This dog is a very important part of Indiana Jones' past.

: : : Hmm, it's either a Siberian Husky or a Alaskan Malamute. However, it's
: : : hard to indentify the breed without seeing the entire dog. From what
: : : is visible I'd more tend to believe it's the Alaskan Malamute. Is there
: : : no reference to this in the novels or the YIJC?

: : : Regards,
: : : -Max
: : Now that you ask, I do remember that Indy's dog was mentioned in novel #10 "Indiana Jones and the Dinosaur Eggs". In Chapter 4 Indy states "I had a dog once when I was a kid and never got over it when he died. He was my best friend. My namesake as a matter of fact." [pg.97] So, I guess we know that Indy's dog, "Indiana", was a male. The name of the dog he befriended in this novel he named "Loki", for the Norse god of mischief who was chained to a wall.[pg.98] Loki was a purebred male Alsatain - a breed of shepherd - with blue eyes.[pg.84] Loki is even shown on the cover of novel, standing by Indy. But this dog looks nothing like the dog in Indy's house in Utah, 1912. I tend to guess that "Indiana" was a Siberian Huskey - a silver or grey one. Hopefully someone else knows more on this dog. Both the real one and the animal character it played.

: I just forgot to mention some things in my earlier post: Actually
: George Lucas owned a dog back in the 1970s which was in fact named
: "Indiana". As far as I know he was the Alaskan Malamute. I also heard
: that he used the modified sound of his houling dog for a Star Wars
: movie. Anyway, since he didn't own that dog anymore when he created
: Last Crusade it is obvious that it was some kind of stunt dog used.
: After watching the movie I'm not sure anymore if this is an Alskan
: Malamute. As far as I know they are bigger than the Husky breeds. Is
: there any behind-the-scenes clip where the dog is shown? Anyway, we
: can't know for sure unless there is someone who has precise information
: about this.

: Regards,
: -Max
One thing I could never figure out; is why the Jones brought that dog to the southwest.
A dog with fur like that would melt in Arizona.

The dog "Indiana" was also shown a few times in the first YIJC episode, "Curse of the Jackal."

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]