Lucas is arrogant about his products, which are as much the creation of others, and often is cavalier toward his fans by...

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by California Mike from 209-21-33-15.dialup.neteze.com on April 25, 2001 at 22:00:26:

In Reply to: What's that have to do with his "artistic integrity" posted by Jay on April 25, 2001 at 18:49:21:

Lucas repeatedly holds on to his intellectual properties and slows down production for these properties by saying he wants to control them and maintain high quality. Several of his past actions, however, make this sound phony.

I brought up the star wars christmas special, howard the duck, and the ewok movies to point out that he occasionally allows crap to go out with his name on it when it will mean lots of cash, but not when it will deny him cash. I.e., licensing rights to his products instead of retaining them himself, or selling the best possible copies of his work instead of repeatedly offering shoddy and "specially updated" merchandise. For instance, why the hell would he release another star wars special edition with a ten minute clip on the making of episode two without releasing it on dvd? Why would he charge more for widescreen versions of his movies than pan and scan? pan and scan costs more to produce, but he knows that collectors will fork over move money to get widescreen.

He says he's worried about privacy, then why release the vcd's in Asia (the home of piracy since time immemorial) in a digital format!!! BECAUSE THEY WON'T BUY TAPES!! He can't be that concerned about piracy, just about repeatedly selling the same product in the U.S.

I didn't bring it up to bash Lucas. He produces great stuff. But sometimes he is full of crap. I.e., he is lying to himself or to us when he doesn't release dvds, won't allow others to expand on his creations by retaining control, and harasses those on the internet who just want to have fun with indy and star wars due to his "artistic integrity".

They're his products, he can do what he wants, but when he lies to his fans it pisses me off and I will correspondingly sound off.

California Mike

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]