Re: Greg, a question...

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Greg from kenn001a-p3-137.cybertours.com on April 26, 2001 at 20:39:28:

In Reply to: Greg, a question... posted by Fedora on April 24, 2001 at 23:19:12:

: Would you give me the link to your pics on the ribbon comparison? I am getting into ribbons now,and I know you have researched this subject. I read at a millinery website today, that there is no difference between grosgrain and petersham. They maintained that it was just different terminology for the same product. The Brits call it petersham, while the Americans call it grosgrain. Any thoughts? Thanks, Fedora

Sorry, I've been away from the computer for a day or so...

This is a meaty topic all on its own. My photopoint location is no more since they started charging. I refuse to pay for it. I can email folks with the pictures I have if you want to email me individually...Now, what I have learned is that there is a difference between petersham and grosgrain. Grosgrain seems to have a bound edge (the appearance of having a horizontal edging that binds the vertical ribs together), and petersham, I AM TOLD, has no bound edge. Now, the big question is quality and thickness of the ribbon. I believe that the ribbon that is being offered by Judith M and other places is nice Petersham, but it is no where as thick (or the ribbing as tightly woven) as the ribbon used on the Temple and LC hats. I believe that the ribbon on these hats was legitimately old ribbon, the likes of which are unattainable today, but I could be wrong. Perhaps we just aren't looking in the right places. There have to be stores of this stuff somewhere in a warehouse, sitting unused, or in the hands of hatters who have inherited stock from now-dead hatters. If not, perhaps it can be remanufactured...Something to look into perhaps...

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]