OK, here are some things to consider.

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Indy French from syr-24-169-84-215.twcny.rr.com on April 26, 2001 at 22:03:42:

In Reply to: Thinking about getting a whip... posted by Georgiana Jones on April 26, 2001 at 21:40:11:

OK, from what you've written below, it seems that there is a question you need to answer before someone can help fully.

1: Are you buying an "Indiana Jones Style" from Mr. Allen or are you getting an American Latigo with a swivel handle?

Assuming that you are buying an "Indy" style whip, here are some things to consider. One, to emulate the David Morgan whip as closely as possible, it would probably be best to order it in natural tan and let it age on its own. (Someone correct me here if I am wrong.)

Length? Here are some things remember. You want it Indy accurate? OK, for what? Cracking or belting? David Morgan says the 10' was carried on the belt, which is probably fairly accurate. However, it is rather obvious from Raiders that when Indy is actually using the whip in Cairo, the whip is probably only 8' at most.

I personally own 10' whips, but many Indyfans on the Forum I hear own 8' whips and they are very happy with them as well. It all depends on what your preference is.

12 plait vs. 16 plait? Well, 12 plait is accurate to Indy and it is more durable in the long run. 16 plait is always more expensive and less durable in the long haul, but the advantage is a more flexible whip for cracks and tricks.

Again, these are issues that are dependent on personal preference.

Hope this helps,

Mike

: The perfect Item for me, can't grow out of it, age isn't a factor. People say they praise the Mark Allen whips... My question is this.. What is 12 Plait and 16 plait...thickness?? And it says for colors Brown and 2-tone...huh??? Also, how long is a good suggested length?? I am so confused! Someone please help me out!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]