Re: I bet it looks pretty cool!

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rundquist from adsl-63-201-187-189.dsl.lsan03.pacbell.net on April 30, 2001 at 20:16:33:

In Reply to: Ingredients for a battle-worn veg goatskin jacket... posted by Patterson on April 30, 2001 at 18:54:24:

: 1.) 90% rubbing alcohol
: 2.) Tan shoe polish
: 3.) 220 grit sandpaper - already well worn-out, but clean.
: 4.) Ironing Board
: 5.) Some clean, dry cloths

: First, lightly coat the jacket with a very slight treatment with the rubbing alcohol using a clean cloth. The 90% seems to work better than the 70% - at least more consistently. This breaks down the varnish sitting on top of the leather. Next, lightly rub the jacket with the worn-out 220 grit. Do this with the jacket on an ironing board. Focus on the seams but do not press hard - you're just removing the top layer of pigment and feathering the transition to the fully colored areas. Also, hit the larger open areas of the back, shoulders, front, sleeves, and cargo pockets. Apply another slight amount of the alcohol as needed, as this “opens up the finish” and allows what's left of the abrasive surface of the sandpaper to "move the color around a bit." After you do this, the jacket will have a dusty-brown/gray look to it. Now work some of the shoe polish into a clean cloth - not the jacket yet! Just work it into the cloth – hell, shine some shoes with it! Once you have the cloth penetrated with the polish - not just sitting on top of it - lightly work the surface of the jacket with the cloth. It should take a bit of effort to get the lightened areas to darken - does this make sense?

: Repeat every few days as you have the nerve to do so. After about 4 of these treatments, mine looks pretty damned cool! Careful on the seams - I did break a stitch or two. The leather, however, is undamaged but beautiful!

: Cheers!

: Patterson

I didn't see this post before I posted mine up top a few. If Patterson has the guts to try this with an expensive expedition and enjoy the results, I'm sure the rest of you would probably have a similar experience. To each his own but remember, the jacket in the movie was artificially aged also. Regards

xxxxxxxx

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]