Re: Don't run with scissors! hummmm....

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Michaelson from em12-686.utsi.edu on October 20, 1998 at 10:18:21:

In Reply to: Don't run with scissors! posted by graml on October 20, 1998 at 10:03:29:

: Greetings, fellow Indy pundits,
: Those of you who remember the short-lived Young Indy TV show
: no doubt remember that old Indy (played by George Hall, arguably
: the best non-Harrison Ford actor to play Indy) was missing an eye.
: Any ideas on how or when this happened? We know Indy had an eye as late as 1950, when Harrison Ford (with both eyes presumably
: in working order) played middle-aged Indy in YIJ and the Mystery of
: the Blues. Was it gouged out? Shot out? Or what? I hope none of
: you are eating as you read this. I know that in the grand scheme of
: things that this is a kind of petty question, but I'm still interested in
: what others think about it. Pecked out by a nefariously trained eagle
: has my vote. Thanks for your time.
: -graml

You know, I wonder if Lucas would have dreamed we'd be sitting around trying to figure out answers to this one when he introduced old Indy with the patch. We all know that he only did it to honor the one director he enjoyed, John Ford, but you wonder if he thought any further than that. Speaking for myself, this is one aspect of the entire Indy storyline I do not dwell on one way or another. You wonder what in the world could Indy have finally stumbled into that would lead to the loss of such an important item as an eye after all the things we're seen and read him get into. Just doesn't pan out with the character as I work him in my mind, and that aspect I don't deal with. Pretty sorry response, I know, but that's how I deal with it. Maybe it's one @#$% of a shaving scar. Maybe he just had cataract surgery. (Yeah, I know, sure) The old Indy character is just one item in the whole thing I never totally liked, simply because of what he was shown to have become, and how they physically depicted him. We all grwo old, but surely they should have aged Indiana more graciously. Once again, my opinion. Regards. Michaelson

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]