One email address, and one correction

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Michaelson from leospace047.utsi.edu on May 02, 2001 at 12:32:41:

In Reply to: Proposed Budget cuts at SCMRE posted by Michaelson on May 02, 2001 at 12:08:28:

I have Sen. Frist's email address, which is "senator_frist@frist.senate.gov". Also, I made one BIG boo boo in the numbers below. A line below SHOULD read "...Small's proposed budget cuts within SI would eliminate SCMRE, which has 37 job slots, only 29 of which ARE NOW (not "not filled") filled due to a previsou freeze on hiring." Sorta changes the whole meaning of the sentence, doesn't it? Regards. Michaelson

: This just off the tnarch alert page....I'm typing it verbatim, but any typos are more than likely all mine, so please ignore them....

: "HELP SAVE RESEARCH THE SMITHSONIAN INSTITUTION: PROTEST THE CUT OF SCMRE AND THE REORGANIZATION OF SI RESEARCH

: The Smithsonian Center for Materials Research and Education (SCMRE) is slated to be eliminated as of December 31, 2001 and its research program terminated. The Center, established in 1963, is a world leader in presearving cultural heritage by conducting archaeological materials research and conservation studies and by training hundreds of researchers from the U.S. and over 40 countries in conservation, preservation, and materials research.

: Smithsonian Secretary Small is asking Congress for an increase in the SI 2002 budget of 8.1%, or $40 million. The total request amount for fiscal 2002 is $494 million. Small's proposed budget cuts within SI would eliminate SCMRE, which has 37 job slots, only 29 of which are not filled due to a previous freeze on hiring.

: The justification for these cuts is that these activities and programs are claimed to be unnecessary and do not contribute to the SI and its "new" research priorities. Closing SCMRE is a clear statement by SI upper management that they do not value studies contributing to the long-term preservation of SI collections.

: WHAT THE LOSS OF SCMRE MEANS:

: World Leader in Preserving Cultural Heritage. A unique research laboratory for materials analysis and preservation of cultural patrimony whose researhers have published over 1000 ournal articles. Amoung SCMRE's many successes have been establishement of standard for museum climatology, objects tranport, photographic preservation, the storage of natural history specimens, and archival collections.

: Conservation Window To The World. For 15 years, SCMRE has sponsored a program of Pre- and Post-Dorcoral Fellowships in Archaeology and Materials Analysis, and the yearly internships for onservators. Active programs with over 10 universities in the U.S. and enduring relationships with archaeologists, conservators, and museum professionals in more tha 200 institutions in 40 nations.

: Cutting Edge Technologies And Partnerships To Study Archaeological Artifacts And Materials. Through 28 years of experience, SCMRE has prioneered in trace element analysis of over 25,000 artifacts to source and provenance materials, to establish provenance of goods used for trade and tribute, and to establish trade patterns in the Americas, Asia, And Africa. Thousands of chemical and microstructual studies of cermic, glass and metal artifacts from hundreds of archaeological sites have led to the understanding and reconstruction of many prehistoric and historic technologies.

: Reduction In Education Opportunities. Scientific research has beendisseminated in the fiesld of museum climatology, ancient DNA, preservation of blood residues, trace element studies, technological studies, conservation of cultural icons and artifacts now ehibited in several national museums, as well as conservation and materials analysis training. SCMRE staff have taught in interdisciplinary pilot programs in local high schools that are designed to link art, archaeology, and science to empirical practice.

: WHAT CAN YOU DO TO PROTEST THE CUT OF SCMRE?

: Before May 7, you can express your protest by writing to the SI board of regents who must approve Secretary Small's proposed budget cuts.

: They include Chief Justice William H. Rehnquist, The Honorable Bill Frist, Howard Baker, Ralph Regula, Sam Johnson, etc.

: If you have any questions, or need addtional information, please contact Donald Forsyth Craib, Manager, Government Affairs and Counsel, Society for American Archaeology at 202-789-8200, or email at donald_craib@saa.org"

:
: I have a list of email addresses coming from Mr. Craib which I will post here once they arrive by fax, should anyone be interested. I also have a long list of addresses of the regents, but if you contact Mr. Craib at his email address above, I'm sure he can email you the list much faster than I can type the things in.

: Ok, fellow forum members, here's something that a petition could work for. If you're serious about what we love or have an interest in, and Indy was working for, here's an opportunity to actually do something besides pretending to be interested in archaeology. Here's a chance for you to actually DO something in support of the science.

: I plan to. High regards. Michaelson

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]