Dimensional cut of an Indy Miller Using Patterson's Forum Notes & Pics

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tony Parker from 64.212.212.61 on May 02, 2001 at 21:24:54:

In Reply to: Re: Looking For: Hat Brim Trimming Tool posted by Fedora on May 02, 2001 at 18:18:43:

Ok:

So, I should proceed with a "manual" cut using Pattersons's methods as per IndyGear using some kind of "free-hand" cut and blend in the extreme angle with a french curve as a guide for the final "blending" cut. Razor blade, Exacto-Knife, Stanley knife. etc...

: : Looking For: Hat Brim Trimming Tool

: : Does anyone have any idea what the proper name of the Hat brim trimming tool that is used by hatters to achieve th dimensional cut?

: : Next does anyone know where that tool may be bought?

:
: Well, it would be called a brim trimmer, and I am currently trying to acquire one myself. My local western hatter ordered me one from his supplier, to discover that the wholsaler was out of stock on this item. Cost was to be around 45.00. This particular trimmer fit on the factory edge, and cut off 1/8 an inch per cut. It maintained the factory shape, only reducing the width with each pass. I have not been able to discover a supplier for this particular instrument, but I am still looking. It must be noted that this trimmer, only maintains the factory cut, be it round or dimensional. To arrive at the dimensional cut, you could use it to take the necesary amount off the sides, but would still have to blend the two different curves. It is my understanding that the factory dimensional cuts done by companies such as Stetson, are accomplished by a CNC cutter. Computer controlled. The rounding jack mentioned in the below post is a hand operated instrument, used by small custom hatters, and only follows the crown when cutting the brim. Hence, you end up with a brim that is the same width all around. Hope this helps, Regards, Fedora

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]