Cross my palm with silver, I tell your fortune...

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Inby from ppp10.nwnetwork.net on May 03, 2001 at 19:16:53:

In Reply to: Tell me Inby, what secret society do I belong to? posted by Fall Guy on May 03, 2001 at 18:32:52:

Quiche-eaters anonymous?
The Lorraine-cross is a double-barred cross. Originally both of the arms had the same length. Later the upper arm has
been reduced to a shorter length. This may be taken as the wooded sign placed by Pilatus over the head of Jesus on the
cross, showing the letters "INRI". This cross is called the true cross (crux vera).

A double-barred cross of this kind was said to be used in the year 800 by Christian sects in the Orient. Godefroy de
Boullion, duke of Lorraine, flew this cross in his standard when he took part in the capture of Jerusalem in 1099 during
the first crusade. Later this kind of cross was attributed to him and his successors.

In recent times the Lorraine cross was used by General de Gaulle as a symbol of freedom in the French resistance
during the 2. World War.

On October 23rd 1902, at a conference in Berlin, Germany, the Lorraine cross was chosen as the symbol of the global
fight against tuberculosis.. When Dr. Gilbert Seciron, submitted his proposal, he said "The red double-barred cross being
a symbol of peace and brotherly understanding will bring our message to faraway places. Use it every day as a sign of
your combat against tuberculosis and your mission will be successful defeating this uninvited guest that decimates our
rows, and thus drying the tears of the suffering mankind."

Today the Lorraine cross is the symbol of the global fight against tuberculosis and lung diseases.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]