Re: Fedora or other hat expert: question

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Indy Sean from 24-168-39-112.nyc.rr.com on May 04, 2001 at 00:07:31:

In Reply to: Re: Fedora or other hat expert: question posted by Fedora on May 03, 2001 at 23:48:34:

thanks! What is the shape of the top of the PB crown? Does it have a squarish or pointed top when unbashed?

By the way, I agree there is a big difference between the Fed initial brim size and the Raiders fedora.

-IS

-----
: : what should the height of an unbashed crown be for Indy's hat?

: : Fedora, You went with 6 inches right? Was that good or do you
: : recommend 5 1/2? or somewhere in between?. I may be able to
: : afford a pb now.

: : and what did we say was the best brim specs,
: : 2/3/4 x 2 5/8 or 2 7/8 x 2 3/4"?

: : woe is me, these questions never seem answered..

: : -Indy Sean

: You know really it depends on your hat size. A larger head requires a little taller crown, and perhaps a wider brim. I wear a size 7 1/4, and I will give you what I think looks right in this hat size. I think the specs would also apply to say a 7 1/8, and a 7 3/8. I don't own a 6 inch open crown hat, my last PB was 5 3/4 to 5 7/8 open crown height. I think that for my hat size, the 5 3/4 is about right. After it is bashed, you want 4 3/4 height on the front and back, and around 5 1/4 on the sides. All of my brims are 2 3/4 x 2 5/8. To me this looks right. The 6 inch open crown is good for heads the size of Patterson's, to maintain the proportions. For a 7 1/4 it looks a bit too tall. When I first put on my Federation, before I cut the brim down, it was 2 7/8 all the way around, and this just looked like too much brim to me, at least when I compared it to the Raiders fedora. But there are folks that swear by this size. I had kicked around the idea of having my next PB made with a 6 inch crown and the brim 2 7/8 x 2 3/4, but have since changed my mind , after seeing the brim on the Federation. There is another factor to consider when ordering a given crown height. All open crowns are not created equal. The shape of the uppermost part of the crown is critical in arriving at a particular look. Some hats have a more pointed open crown versus, a squarish crown. A squarish open crown will give a taller bashed hat when compared with a pointed crown. Hope I have not confused the issue. Regards, Fedora

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]