A few suggestions

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by A Man With A Hat from dix2-11.essex1.com on May 04, 2001 at 14:12:17:

In Reply to: Any archeology students or archeologists, please read!! posted by Jordan Bross on May 03, 2001 at 15:21:20:

Jordan,

Always good to see another person interested in pursuing real archaeology. I will be starting grad school next fall for archaeology myself, so I am aware of a few possibilities. At your age, there aren't a whole lot of possibilities available besides volunteer work or perhaps one of the better known archaeology programs where you pay for your room and board and work at some of the more famous sites, like Crow Canyon and other SW sites (Check out some of the ads in Archeology magazine, although it's been awhile since I last looked at one so perhaps they stopped offering these). I don't know if you want to travel that far however, seeing as how you are in New Jersey. Something that might be worth a shot is to check out neighboring universities and colleges in the area, get in contact with the archaeology professors, and see if any are involved in fieldwork this summer. Many professors do take advantage of the summer to conduct fieldwork, so finding one that does seems fairly likely. It might be possible to sign on as a volunteer, but it would be advisable to have some personal references standing by so that people can vouch for your character and trustworthiness. Unfortunately, since you are still in high school, you would probably be stuck doing the grunt work, but you never know who you will be working for- maybe someone kind enough to let you work on something better under supervision.

Anyhow, best of luck and welcome to the club.

Regards.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]