I LOVED the first Mummy film, but I was let down by this sequel...

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Brett (Maverick) Lambert from aig723ygy33nh.ab.hsia.telus.net on May 05, 2001 at 00:29:49:

In Reply to: Another 'Mummy Returns' Review posted by Austin Powers on May 04, 2001 at 18:25:58:

...it was enjoyable at times, amusing at other points, but overall it seemed they were trying too hard to top the first film with more action sequences than all three Indy Movies combined but it left me feeling a tad empty in the end.

Rick and Evie's 10 year-old kid bordered on annoying.

Plus, for me, they made the ultimate sin in under-utilising the supporting characters (I'm referring to Evie's brother and Ardeth Bay). To me, they added a great deal of charm and fun to the original, but here all they seem to be doing is pointing their guns and looking worried at what Imhotep is up to this time. And I know they couldn't have reprised their characters, but this movie left me wishing that they'd bring back Beni, the Arab guy (the one with that damn cool Fez), all those Yankee cowboy guys, the Egyptologist, and the Cairo museum curator. They also were a big part of what made the first movie so fun! The only character who supplied consistent laughs was the black guy who kept worrying he'd get shot because of Rick O'Connell's recklessness.

As for The Rock's character, he showed some fairly good promise in the opening sequence (was I the only one who felt confused by the opening narration? Maybe I was too busy thinking how hot Rachel Weisz is ;)), but that was too cheesy to have him turn up later as a CGI half-man, half-scorpion dude. C'mon, use the ACTUAL actor, not a replication!

The lead actors Brendan Fraser and Rachel Weisz were playing it by the numbers and their charm from the first film was also in short-hand.

Imhotep didn't seem as compelling the second time around.

About the only thing that wasn't a let-down was the fight scenes between Rachel Weisz and Patricia Velasquez. Yeow. ;)

In the end, they relied too heavily on packing the screen with as much action sequences and special effects as the studio would allow Stephen Sommers to think up and much less on the charms of the original characters.

I can only hope that "Tomb Raider" won't make the same mistakes (though I'm pretty sure it has one thing going for it that this one doesn't, Lara Croft is much prettier then Rick O'Connell, but we knew that already :P).

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]