entire movies that use CGI are coming out -- they look fairly realistic, but disturbing

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Bennett from spider-th062.proxy.aol.com on May 06, 2001 at 10:10:36:

I've seen a couple of previews of movies that are entirely computer generated and are in the same style as the Rock/scorpion character in the Mummy returns -- they look pretty realistic, but just unrealistic enough to be disturbing (to a 35 year old like me, at least) --

But it seems that the ability to create realistic CGI characters has come along so fast that in a few years they may be able to do it virtually unnoticeable -- that may be great, on one hand, but could result in a disturbing trend on the other. Much of the charisma of Indy, for instance, comes from Harrison Ford, not from the vision of the screenwriter or director/producer -- just look at the original scripts or storyboards to see how Harrison Ford saved Raiders from being just another action movie -- if CGI became easier/cheaper to use than actors for period action flicks, it could be a real loss --

Of course, that seems unlikely -- and CGI will probably become a good thing and comments like mine here will be a source of amusement -- like somebody who thought color film would ruin movies --

At any rate, at this point CGI needs to be used strategically --

Bennett

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: