Chopped Indy Miller Hat Update - I still need advice

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tony Parker from 208.51.229.130 on May 06, 2001 at 23:44:32:

Chopped Indy Miller Hat Update - I still need advice

Well Gang I finally did the deed....

I carefully chopped my Indy Miller Hat. It looks does look more like an Indy hat now....but I still need some help and advice to finish the job

1.) I flattened the snap brim to a flat brim using water
and steam and weights.

2.) I Carefully measured my hat..! Miller sent me a 2-1/2" brim hat instead of the 2-3/4" brim hat that I ordered...but it was too late to squawk and ask for another hat with a 2-3/4" brim in exchange.

3.) I marked the front and rear of the brim with tailor's chalk as per Pattersons picture and instructions and then carefully scribed a 1/8" line on both sides of the brim between the front and rear marks.

4.) Using a sharp pair of very sharp "felt" scissors, I cut the crescent shaped areas formed by the various markings (1/8" thick at the widest point) on both sides of the hat.

5.) Using a "Sanding Sponge" (A sponge impregnated with 220 grit on one side and 100 grit on the other)I carefully smoothed the transition areas and the cuts with 100 grit side of the sanding sponge first. This takes careful work and a lot of eyeballing to insure a correct & smooth brim line and proper "angle of the dangle" with regard to the transistion. I found putting the work down for a few minutes, and then comming back to the work, allowed me to spot rough areas and correct them. When all the brim looked really nice I finish sanded the brim with the 220 git side of the sanding sponge

6.) NB: the cutting and sanding has now worked out to ta total of a 3/16" dimensional cut! Still looks good.

7.) My Hat is now ready to shape, and I'd like to get some input how to the proper look for an Indy Raiders "look". I have pulled the front and back of the brim down and it has that dramatic Indy "Swoop"
but I've noticed from the pics that the Indy Hat curls up somehow in the back... It's not a snap brim... So I'd like some opinions how to achieve the rest of that Indy Raiders look....Comments please.

If someone could explain to me how to upload a picture onto this BB I'll show you the work in progress...

Tony

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]