Too Much Mummy...or is there?

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by A Man With A Hat from dix4-40.essex1.com on May 07, 2001 at 15:07:49:

I agree with all of you who state that this is not the place for discussing the Mummy Returns to such an extent that it floods the forum. On the other hand, I can understand why there is so much talk about it. It fills the niche that all of us appreciate and love- the one that Indy created. Of course, the Mummy series is considerably more tongue-in-cheek and off the charts with CGI effects, but it still fills that adventure/civilizations movie genre that we don't get to take part in much these days. Personally, I would rather read something new on the forum once in awhile than to hear the same old ridiculously lame arguments over the length of a PB fedora brim or the exact specs on a leather jacket. Save it for the Indygear site, I say.

With that said, I saw Mummy Returns and was very impressed with it until the end. I went into the movie expecting it to by very light-hearted and tongue in cheek, so it was easy to overlook all the weak parts of the plot. Personally, I felt the whole sequence when they are in London was perfect- it was funny, had great action sequences, and great effects. What I didn't like was the pygmy mummies- they made no sense, no effort was made to explain why there were so many pygmy mummies in that area, much less why they could come to life as well, and it seemed to be a clear ripoff of the scenes with the raptors in Jurassic Park- hidden predators eliminating people in tall grass. The Scorpion King was horrible at the end! It looked awful and I was surprised they allowed that to reach the final film. I have seen much better effects on computer games. And the dirigible at the end, the unappreciated deus ex machina of the film, seemed fit more for a computer game than this movie.

When Indy 4 comes out though, I bet it breaks any and all records set by the Mummy. Until then, we are left with a subpar alternative to fulfill our adventure needs.

Regards.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]