I tried it on both

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Michaelson from leospace047.utsi.edu on May 08, 2001 at 12:23:47:

In Reply to: Re: Glad it worked for you posted by Fedora on May 08, 2001 at 12:18:13:

: : As I pointd out at the IndyGear FAQ, all I stated was my personal experience. I attempted this on two different lambskin Westeds and had the same "negative" results, so with only 2 data points to work with, that has been my recommendation. Now that there's a third, it appears that it can work. Thanks for sharing the info. Regards. Michaelson

: : : I received a new finish lambskin Wested jacket about a month ago -- I initially put Lexol on it, after reading all the posts about the negative qualities of Pecards on lambskin -- later, after some wear and several soakings in water, the leather was getting stiff and felt much more like cowhide than lamb, and I decided to put Pecard's leather dressing on it (the paste type) -- and the result is great. The jacket initially had that thin, spongy lambskin feel -- but after getting wet and drying, it lost that feel, and with the Pecards it feels and looks great -- slightly heavier and stiffer than when it arrived --

: : : Also, the natural distressing that has occurred is still visible -- not for the first few days, but starts to come back out after a few days, especially with wear. I would recommend Pecards for this lambskin without reservation and over Lexol or similar products --
: : : My jacket is not sticky or tacky, nor did it turn appreciably darker --

: : : Bennett

: I think the key here is his lambskin had been abused a bit and the factory oils had leeched out. Any dried out leather will accept a dressing like Pecards. If I tried to apply it to my new lambskin Wested, it would not be assorbed, and would just sit on the top of the leather. Regards, Fedora

The results were worse on the new, but seemed not as bad on the distressed, though it had a very heavy waxy finish once it did "soak" in, and it did indeed darken the leather several shades. That was to be expected. I'm wondering if Peter may have changed his leather supplier again to a better source, as noted by the experience of our friend Bennett with his Pecards application? Sounds like it worked just fine for him. Just a thought. Regards from one "old geezer" to another. (grins) Michaelson

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]