The "CGI Revolution"

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Austin Powers from 216.160.13.249 on May 08, 2001 at 15:08:24:

After seeing 'The Mummy Returns' and having viewed countless trailers for upcoming movies, I have to agree that the film industry's use of CGI has become alarming. During the '90s computerized effects began slowly, but they steadily became more and more widely used. The first time I remember CGI was back in 'The Abyss' and 'T2'. Most other movies still relied on tradition effects methods. But when 'Jurassic Park' came out, followed by 'Twister' and 'Independence Day', CGI seemingly became the norm. With movies like 'Twister', stories were developed AROUND the CGI. Solid story lines were abandoned for eye candy.

In the first 'Mummy', computerized graphics were used in abundance, but not too blatantly. At first glance, the city of Thebes in the beginning looked real, and the aging Anubis statue was believable as well. The scarab beetles looked so real they made audiences squirm, and the exploding Cairo and flame-engulfed soldiers were awe inspiring. The only part that was CGI to the naked eye, was the Mummy himself. For the most part, everything else was done so well that you believed it was real. Even the giant sand face and the Pharaoh's guards looked great. To me, it seems the CGI was used to aid in the storytelling, not replace it.

But in the sequel, Hollywood's insane use of CGI is more apparent. Mummies look faker, the giant water face looks cartoonish, and totally impossible stunts are performed with the use of a computer. Hot-air balloons fly at Mach speed, mummies leap from building to building like Peter Parker, and a ridiculously fake villain dukes it out with a superhuman O'Connell.

In just 2 years, the Mummy's effects went from story aids to story replacers, and the effects that once looked real and believable now appear phony and cartoon-like.

I've never seen 'The Phantom Menace', but from what I've heard and seen in previews, CGI was overused there as well. I fear that IF an 'Indy 4' is ever made, it too will be saturated with horribly fake effects that'll leave you urning for the days of stuntmen.

In my opinion, the ONLY CGI that is worthwhile is the stuff you can't point out, like that used in 'Titanic'. To this day, the BEST CGI I've ever seen are the parts with the Tyrannosaurus in the 1st 'Jurassic Park'. You actually think that thing's real and dangerous. Not like the lame "flocking dinosaurs" or giant "brontosaurs". Over the years it's like instead of getting better, the CGI has gotten worse. And this's evident in the trailer for 'Jurassic Park 3'. The creatures look as hokey as the ones on the 'Lost World' TV show.

Austin Powers

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]