Sallah has bad hearing (explanation included).

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Fall Guy from pool0388.cvx21-bradley.dialup.earthlink.net on May 08, 2001 at 18:06:38:

In Reply to: Belloq/Belloch spelling posted by Katanga on May 08, 2001 at 15:01:15:

Whether the name is spelled Belloq or Belloque doesn't make any difference for the correct French pronounciation. Someone might argue that a person from Southern France might pronounce the schwa at the end when the name is spelled Belloque.
As far as German goes, Belloq/ue would be pronounced approximately like the French version. If the name was spelled Belloch, it would NEVER be prounounced with "sch" (as in "shit"; sorry, couldn't come up with a better word) in German, but it would be pronounced with a guttural sound. Something that sounds a bit (but much less harsh) like the "ch" in Loch Ness.
Does that help?
FG
PS: I think that Sallah may have misunderstood the Germans, or that the Germans parodied Belloq's name.

: Just wondering if there was any evidence of a misspelling of Belloq/Belloch in the credits (where is is spelled ...oq). My questions is due to the fact that Sallah quotes the Nazis as calling him, phonetically, Bellosh. Given that Indy pronounces it, again phonetically, Bellock, It made sense to me that the true spelling should have been Belloch. Can anyone give me some insight?
:
:

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: