Good use of special effects...

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by JuggleEwok from ACAB0649.ipt.aol.com on May 08, 2001 at 19:52:35:

In Reply to: The "CGI Revolution" posted by Austin Powers on May 08, 2001 at 15:08:24:

I don't really think Spielberg would add too much CGI to another Indy movie. While the Indy movies have always had a decent amount of special effects, they've never gone overboard. It always served the story. Sure, made today, the opening of the Ark may have been done in CGI, and the vehicles falling off cliffs, but would the rest of the movie have been changed for more FX opportunity? But while we're on the subject, I think the best use of FX is when it's not flashy. Sure, I love to kick back and watch a flashy, mind-numbing movie. But if you ask me, the best "FX" movie, in terms of its effects, was 2001: A Space Odyssey. That movie never ceases to astonish me. 30 years old, and it still looks flawless! From the spaceships to less flashy instances like people walking or running in a 360 degree circle or a pen floating with absolutely no visible string. Perhaps these days, though, the best bet would be a combination. I've never thought most model effects were entirely realistic, and most CGI is blatantly CGI, but a combo is quite effective, as when, in the Star Wars special edition trilogy, computers were used to clean up matte lines and other flaws from models. This would be a good way for the movie industry to turn.

Did I ramble enough yet? ;)

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]