Austin, you're full of crap....

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Shawnkara from spider-mtc-tj021.proxy.aol.com on May 09, 2001 at 03:26:30:

In Reply to: The "CGI Revolution" posted by Austin Powers on May 08, 2001 at 15:08:24:

I have to strongly disagree with your notion that CGI was used to replace the storyline of 'The Mummy Returns'. The story is solid, elaborating on the characters of the first film in ways I don't think anyone expected. It's obviously far from being told completely. I expected a fun, yet hollow, rehash of the first film. I never expected it to tie in to the first as tightly and as neatly as it did, flashing back to scenes from the original from a new perspective while glimpsing a backstory that I can't wait to see on film. I had a few issues with it, sure. The Scorpion King, in scorpion form, looked like shit. They should've just super imposed the Rock's torso onto a CGI scorpion body. I thought the balloon was cool, though I don't believe that jet propulsion had been invented yet. Anubus's army was iffy, but my issue there is not the use of CGI but rather the extensive liberties taken with true Egyptian history/mythology. Imhotep was FAR more impressive in corpse form here than in the first film. And as for your 'Peter Parker' mummies, well, they could climb walls in the first film, too. I loved 'The Matrix', too but I'm sick of seeing taht bullet time shit. At least 'The Mummy Returns' used it with discreation. The only 'super human' thing that O'Connel did was to catch that knife in mid-air. At least 90% of Indy's character is plain, simple dumb luck. Maybe we can chock the knife thing up to that. Honestly, I don't see how anyone could have a bad word to say about either of the Mummy films. They are based on history, fact and mythology with a ficticious spin for fun. So are the Indy films. There are a great many things that require suspension of disbelief, as so, too, with Indy. On many levels I'm starting to prefer the Mummy films to Indy. I'm not saying it's better; that would be comparing apples to oranges. Indy was cutting edge for the times, as are the Mummy films today. Indy as indured for two decades; I fell these films will, as well. Face it, if 'Raiders' were released this year it would look just like the Mummy films.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]