Re: Belloq/Belloch/Belloc

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Katanga from user-2ive9qh.dialup.mindspring.com on May 09, 2001 at 14:27:50:

In Reply to: Belloq/Belloch/Belloc posted by Hazelton on May 08, 2001 at 21:18:14:

: There was a historical figure (a philosopher, I believe?) named Michel Belloc. George Lucas might not have appreciated having to read his works in college and decided to get a little payback by naming his perfidious French villain after him...
: Actually, Sallah doesn't mispronounce the name except by proxy. "There is not one brain among them," he says of the Nazi archaeologists, "Except one. A French archaeologist. They call him 'Bellosh.'" Whereupon Indy corrects him: "Belloq. Belloq!"

I just did a little research on the web and discovered that there was a biblical character named "Balak"--even Balak ben tzipur "Balak son of a bird." This guy was not too friendly with the Jewish community--nor was Belloq, as it would seem. Now, I know this is a *bit* of a stretch, but the Nazi eagle is featured prominently in the movie and it wouldn't be difficult to see Belloq as a son of that 'bird.' Somehow, though, I doubt Lucas and Spielberg did such extensive research on their villan. Besides, it doesn't exactly solve the pronunciation problem.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]