Those Nazis were just teasing the Frenchman!

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Fall Guy from pool0758.cvx7-bradley.dialup.earthlink.net on May 09, 2001 at 15:22:10:

In Reply to: Re: Sallah has bad hearing (explanation included). posted by Katanga on May 09, 2001 at 14:21:29:

: : Whether the name is spelled Belloq or Belloque doesn't make any difference for the correct French pronounciation. Someone might argue that a person from Southern France might pronounce the schwa at the end when the name is spelled Belloque.
: : As far as German goes, Belloq/ue would be pronounced approximately like the French version. If the name was spelled Belloch, it would NEVER be prounounced with "sch" (as in "shit"; sorry, couldn't come up with a better word) in German, but it would be pronounced with a guttural sound. Something that sounds a bit (but much less harsh) like the "ch" in Loch Ness.
: : Does that help?
: : FG
: : PS: I think that Sallah may have misunderstood the Germans, or that the Germans parodied Belloq's name.

: Why then would they parrody his name as "Bellosh" instead of something else? This leads me to have two additioanl questions. 1) Is there a German meaning for "Bellosh" that would somehow a mockery of Belloq? and 2) If Sallah's hearing was bad and he misunderstood Belloch (pronounced as in Loch) as "Bellosh" it would point to the Belloch spelling instead of Belloq. This again makes me wonder if indeed there was a misspelling in the credits.

I would think that the Germans mispronounced Belloq's name just to annoy him. :)
I'm not aware of any German word that sounds remotely like Belloq or Bellosh.
FG
:
:

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: