Maybe he wants to avoid what happened with Star Wars

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rundquist from adsl-63-201-187-189.dsl.lsan03.pacbell.net on May 09, 2001 at 20:05:22:

In Reply to: Count the versions of Star Wars... posted by Micah on May 09, 2001 at 18:48:21:

As many of you know, Lucas always wants the most superior version on the market of whichever of his films is in question. Up to the point of the special edition Star Wars releases, the preceding editions always got better in quality. The original Laserdisk edition package of the three SW movies was called the "definitive version" at the time it was released and it was, at that time. Where are laserdisks today? Nowhere. I think he wants to present these movies in a lasting medium. DVD's are here to stay, but they are not high definition yet. All of today's DVD's will be playable in a few years but will be considered inferior to the new high def. ones. Lucas has also stated that he is simply too busy to deal with the production of DVD's at the moment. Fans today want extras, a whole lot of extras. He probably doesn't want to leave the project in someone else's hands. At least they are finally available in widescreen on VHS. Years ago I bought a laserdisk player just to watch them in widescreen. I have to agree that I'd Like to have these on DVD though. Regards

xxxxxxxxx

: I'd like to believe that Lucas is working in the fans' interests, but if you count the different editions of Star Wars VHS tapes that have come out in the past few years, you have to come to the sad conclusion that Lucas will sell as many versions as the market will bear. Let's see there was the original version, the THX version, the special edition, the special edition with some prequel info, ... there may be others.

: It doesn't look like he has a problem selling us multiple versions, so I wonder what the hold up truly is...

: --Micah

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]