Sure...

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Patterson from spider-wa011.proxy.aol.com on May 11, 2001 at 12:35:59:

In Reply to: Re: Thanks for the jacket tips MK, but.... posted by MK on May 11, 2001 at 09:56:30:

: I know how you feel:-) Make sure you get a decent size samples. The veg seal will be really sriff at first. You will need to beat it up.

: Patterson, any tips for treating the sample?

Rub it down with 91% alcohol to break down the top layer of varnish. Lightly rub with well-worn 220+ grit sandpaper - not hard enough to make any deep scratches, just enough to gradually remove pigment. Use circular moions. Put a fold in the leather sample so you can see how the highlights will come out on the seams. You'll need to apply this a few times, allowing the leather to "rest" between. The jacket really looked terrific after 4-5 treatments. Yesterday I gave the jacket a light treatment of Pecards as preparation for the summer heat up here in the high desert. She was dark and shiny when I went to bed last night, but the goatskin soaked up all the Pecards by the time I woke up. It looks even better and is more soft than I ever would have expected. Dave Marshall said I'd never believe how dramatically the goatskin will respond to Pecards after a good breaking in - Man, he was right! I'll give the chrome goat a few months of abuse before I give it the same.

I gotta say - veg is the way to go! IMHO

Patterson

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: