Re: Thanks! One more question...

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by D2K from 1Cust189.tnt3.brentwood.ny.da.uu.net on May 14, 2001 at 00:30:14:

In Reply to: Thanks! One more question... posted by Zippy on May 13, 2001 at 00:37:21:

Zippy,

I started with a Wings VIP. The jacket was beautiful, except...
I didn't care for the amount of grain in it. It looked too "bumpy" for my taste, purely subjective. I liked the VIP so much that, although I didn't like the grain, I looked long and hard at it as it hung in my house, trying to decide if I could live with the grain to have the super high-quality of the rest of the piece. In the end I exchanged it. I got a "vintage cowhide" (this was before the "old cow".) The lining on the v.c. looked like a plastic garbage bag to me. A terrible disappointment after having the VIP. When I saw the v.c. it made me wish I had the VIP back. But I knew I couldn't live with the large grain. So I returned the v.c., looked around some more and that's how I came back to the Goatskin.
So, all that background just to say that I am familiar with the VIP. To your question (finally!) The Goatskin jacket is much lighter, both in physical weight and in "insulating factor" (I made that up) than the VIP. The goatskin though, does actually FEEL tougher than cow (as we know it is) as in : less likely to snag, or tear. The lining of the goatskin is cotton, like an A-2 flight jacket. The jacket itself, in total, is far heavier than an A-2 though. I've worn legitimate A-2's and they feel to me like those light cotton baseball jackets. The goat is quite a bit heavier and warmer than that. I live in the New York city metro area (read: cold/damp/wet winters.) The goat is to be my primary jacket, covering 3 seasons (and summer, whenever I can convince myself it's cool enough.) I wore it this year, very comfortably in temps down to around freezing (with only a t-shirt and a regular flannel shirt underneath) and up into the 60's and in pouring rain. Had it gotten colder, I would've worn it in colder conditions without reservation. The goatskin is, without doubt, FAR more versatile than the VIP. Fit/finish-wise, you get a brownish cotton lining instead of that shiny orangish one. And you don't get that nifty twisted wire zipper-puller thingy. You get a leather tab-thing through a noraml zipper. Otherwise, no quality lost between the VIP and the goat. If you decide on goat, you won't be unhappy.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]