Archaeological Ramblings

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Aņejo Joe from 59.charlotte-06-07rs.nc.dial-access.att.net on May 14, 2001 at 18:06:27:

Well, I just got back from my archaeological expedition and that was quite an experience. I feel a bit more like Sallah than Indy. I had never imagined that all the sand was removed 1 cm at a time! And that each 5 cm layer had to perfectly level before going to the next level. My first job was sharpening shovels. Then I carried buckets of sand, screened the sand, dug the sand. I measured depth with the stadia, and recorded records. I learned something about site features. And I learned a lot about the artifacts we were trying to find. There were lectures at night directly related to the site. And plenty of good food. In all, I feel that this experience was worth about a year of college. There is no substitute for field experience. I wish I had been a little better prepared academically. The only "Indy" item I found useful was the ever popular MK VII bag. Shorts, tee shirt, and a cap worked best. I tried a Tilly, but the brim got in the way. A fedora would have been ruined. It would have looked like Indy's after the tank scene. The dig lasts 3 more weeks. I am going back to see what was found at the lowest levels. This is the most fun I can remember having (except maybe for that time with the cheerleader, and that was a long time ago). I can't believe people actually make a living doing this, but the professionals who were in charge of the dig say that they do well.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]