You got fed?!

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Michaelson from leospace047.utsi.edu on May 15, 2001 at 11:38:33:

In Reply to: Archaeological Ramblings posted by Aņejo Joe on May 14, 2001 at 18:06:27:

: Well, I just got back from my archaeological expedition and that was quite an experience. I feel a bit more like Sallah than Indy. I had never imagined that all the sand was removed 1 cm at a time! And that each 5 cm layer had to perfectly level before going to the next level. My first job was sharpening shovels. Then I carried buckets of sand, screened the sand, dug the sand. I measured depth with the stadia, and recorded records. I learned something about site features. And I learned a lot about the artifacts we were trying to find. There were lectures at night directly related to the site. And plenty of good food. In all, I feel that this experience was worth about a year of college. There is no substitute for field experience. I wish I had been a little better prepared academically. The only "Indy" item I found useful was the ever popular MK VII bag. Shorts, tee shirt, and a cap worked best. I tried a Tilly, but the brim got in the way. A fedora would have been ruined. It would have looked like Indy's after the tank scene. The dig lasts 3 more weeks. I am going back to see what was found at the lowest levels. This is the most fun I can remember having (except maybe for that time with the cheerleader, and that was a long time ago). I can't believe people actually make a living doing this, but the professionals who were in charge of the dig say that they do well.

Every dig I've been on has been that you ate what ever you had in your bag that you brought from home. I guess volunteer digs in Tennessee have some catching up to do. (grins) Sounds like you had a great first experience. Regards. Michaelson

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]