Akubra Fed Dimensional Trim, Shaping and Ribbon Dyeing Notes

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tony Parker from 64.212.212.51 on May 20, 2001 at 19:44:25:

Akubra Fed Dimensional Trim, Shaping and Ribbon Dyeing Notes

Hi Gang:

I've been busy following all the more constructive and informative Hat customizing posts by Michaelson, Indy Sean, Fedora, Patterson, Austin Powers, etc., etc ( Ihope I haven't forgotten anyone..), and have completed the first few stages of The dimensional cut and steam forming of my Indy Miller Hat as well as the Akubra Federation hat as well which arrived Friday..

I thought the Akubra Federation is a wonderful "big hat", and I'm quite happy with it as hats go, but I'd like to know whether or not everybody is happy with the Akubra Fed Hat's color. My hat's color was more of a dark greyish (almost green) brown, rather than the red brown of the Indy Miller, or the richer brown that I've seen in most of the Indy Hat film out-take pics I've seen. I'd like to hear some comments on that point.

The dimensional cutting of both hats' brims has proceeded fairly satisfactorilly and I am getting better with practice.

I tried a variety of clumsy, kludgey, home made steaming rigs to shape the crowns and the brims, until I found a wonderful gadget called a Norelco Voyager TS75 portable clothing steamer, which really worked perfectly, and I heartily recommend the tool.

I also received the dark brown Petersham ribbon from JM designs Friday and I agree the JM ribbon is much to light a shade of brown.

This weekend I also dyed the ribbons with a 4-2 mix of RIT Dark Brown-Black dyes I cooked the ribbon for 25 minutes in a solution of 16oz water, 6oz dye mix, and approx 1 oz of table salt as per manufacturers instruction. Apparently the salt helps the dye "bite" into synthetic and synthetic blend fabrics.

Just for fun I removed The Akubra Federation Ribbon and it took the dye very nicely as well. I rinsed the ribbon in cold water to set the dye and the ribbon has dried to a nice rich, deep dark black/brown which I think works a lot nicer than just a plain black ribbon. Unfortunately the Akubra Fed ribbon shrank too much from the dyeing process so it didn't work out as direct replacement.

So I'm ready to proceed the next stage of attaching the ribbon & bow to the Akubra Federation hat.

I'de really like to hear how you guys all proceeded with the ribbon attachment phase. What kind and size needle and thread did you use? Did you use black thread or brown thread?

I have also heard a large range of sizes for the width of the hat ribbon for the high crown on the Akubra Federation hat. I've heard 1-1/2", 39mm, 40mm, 1-3/4", 1-7/8", 2". I'd really like to hear some opinions on that as well.

Also are there any pics or urls that describe the proper "professional" of method "How to" apply the hat ribbon. Any suggestions. I do have some rather specific questions about the hat ribbon, so I'd like to hear from The ribbon Mavens out there.

All the best,

Tony Parker

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: