A few suggestions

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Sultanahmet from dix4-35.essex1.com on May 23, 2001 at 10:13:37:

In Reply to: Destination: ???? posted by Indiana Banzai on May 22, 2001 at 12:17:46:

Screw all three choices and go to Turkey! Well, considering that you placed Greece down on your list, and assuming you want to travel there to view the Greek ruins, I would suggest the western coast of Turkey as an alternative. It is much cheaper (since many Europeans and Americans have a poor view of Middle Eastern countries, including Turkey) and the people will speak English at these sites and be very accomodating. If you were looking for the most things to do and see for your money, then try Turkey. The theater at Ephesus is amazing and the western coast was the site of half of the ancient world's seven wonders.

If you are going to stick to your list, I would choose Guatemala, but only because I specialize in Mesoamerican arch. Be aware that it is very humid there- so much that many people I have known just shaved their heads to help ease the extreme humidity. But that of course depends on where in Guatemala you are going.

Egypt is unparalleled in massive sites to visit and is very awe inspiring. However, I would suggest that if you have any contacts whatsoever with any university professors or private colleges, check into them. Recently, a group of ACM colleges went on a trip to Egypt that allowed visitors outside the college to attend, and on this kind of trip, you were able to see all the sites that most tourists are not allowed to.

They are all great places though. Have fun.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]